Resolved
Neil M Mid

Resolved: (Lots of) Money Down the Rabbit Hole

Updated by user May 23, 2024

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with apology. I've given up on Rhino Shield and hired a contractor to install Hardie siding on the home.I'll never recommend Rhino Shield to anyone. The product is questionable and their customer/warranty support is abysmal.

Original review Apr 23, 2024
We had this product applied in 2016.
The finished job looked good until we noted that an area behind a split system had been totally missed and we also noted areas that were peeling. We contacted the company and were told a $400 deposit was necessary before they'd visit the house.

We decided to forget about it.
I contacted the company in May last year as more chipping/peeling areas were noted. I emailed - and emailed - and emailed before finally getting a response which indicated their installation season was just about over.

I then offered them the option of performing a touch-up job this year (that I'd pay for) after removing my satellite dish and coax cable. I reached out again this year and was told to remove the dish and cables before they'd provide an estimate.
I emailed them again this morning and told them to forget about it.
I'm installing vinyl next year.
This was a total waste of money to a company that doesn't appreciate their customer base.
Abysmal.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Looked good at first
Cons:
  • Abysmal customer service and response time

Preferred solution: I want nothing from this company

User's recommendation: Run away.

map-marker Jacksonville, Florida

I was scammed by Rhino Shield of Jacksonville

January 21, 2014 To whom it may concern: I would like to tell you about the experience I had and I am currently having with Rhino Shield. I was told approximately six years ago when I had a leak in my home I needed to have my house coated with Rhino Shield due to the fact that water was coming through the plaster.

This man suggested I call Rick Mariano. It turns out they are friends and this was not true because after the very expensive, very aggravating, so called 25 year finish my home experienced the very same leak. It turns out the leak was caused by two $10 gaskets in the second story windows in my living room. I guess Rick’s friend, the builder Rex should have probably known this.

However, on to my experience with Rhino Shield. During the process there was damage done to my landscaping and my driveway and it was soon discovered after they left they had missed some areas, as well as, some small blistering began and failure to contain the water from running through the decorative trim on my home. At this point, I was told I needed to pay additional money to do some work around some areas. I was charged for these repairs I thought should have been warranted.

Here we are six years later and for about the last year and half I have been experiencing more and more blistering, as well as, leakage through decorative trim around certain areas of my home. I have been in contact with Rick Mariano, who seemed to be an honorable guy. Now, I tell Rick it is time to repair what is happening to my home as I am doing some remodeling inside and out. His response was, “Not a problem, me and another guy are going to come over and look at it.” My response was just have a couple of guys fix the damage where your product failed and he insisted on doing it his way.

So I met Rick and one of his associates and said, “Do you happen to have somebody that can pressure clean my home and then your guys can fix the areas where your product has failed?” I went on to show him more areas that should have been sealed where water is leaking under causing a major eye sore at my home. My grounds keeper is constantly having to paint over them as they stain my home. I also showed Rick an area where a plant had been removed that apparently had not been painted. Rick said he would get back to me with an estimate for the pressure cleaning.

Low and behold, I received a call from Rick. Rick goes on to tell me I have a bid for pressure cleaning. It is $4,800. I quickly realized what Rick had done.

Clearly, Rick Mariano, the owner of Rhino Shield in Jacksonville was trying to profit from the failure of his product and workmanship. In the past, the approximate cost to pressure clean my home is roughly $1800. My immediate response was, “I will get my home pressure cleaned, you just send your men to fix the damage.” His response to me was, “Yes, I did build in some money because its only fair that you pay to redo the stucco.” Mind you the stucco was perfect until it was incased in Rhino Shield which entombed it in water where it then dissolved. With this I naturally became enraged and text him, “I will just go ahead and contact the person who awarded you the franchise.

Maybe they will see it different.” With that my assistant went on the computer to track the roots of Rhino Shield. She came up with home base in Destin, Florida where we put a call into the company in hopes of resolution. What we encountered was a person by the name of Catherine. As good as she was at running me around, one would assume that I am not the first person to have this problem.

She was well rehearsed and a master of “BS.” I kept telling her, “I just want to speak to the owner of Rhino Shield.” She kept insisting that Rick was an independent franchise and no one had control over him. My answer to her was okay, “If I wanted to open a franchise who would I speak to?” I told her I wanted the name of the president of company and she told me that she was not allowed to give that information out. Apparently, she thinks I am as *** as Rick Mariano does. My assistant immediately went back on the computer finding Steve Dominique, CEO’s contact information.

All of a sudden when my assistant contacted this very same girl asking for Mr. Dominique, we encountered an entirely different attitude. It was amazing! Very politely telling me three times to wait that she was going to connect me with the president.

This never happened. She came back and said, “We are having phone trouble. Give me your telephone number and I will have him call you right back.” This was early Friday morning January 17, 2014 and here it is Tuesday January 21, 2014 and I’m still waiting for that phone call.

This has prompted me to take this further action. Photos available upon review.

Guest

Rhino Rhino i know I NO to Rhino The only shield is to say No paint peeled runaround suck your money like a vacuum modern America

Guest

Thanks for saving me the trouble.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2315363

I was going to call. Thanks for the information

Guest

https://***/products/rhino-shield/ This appears to be the website for the manufacturer. They make a variety of products or so the site claims.

Elastomeric acrylics have been around for 30 years. My experience with acrylic elastomeric coatings was for use on tilt up concrete and cinder block constructed buildings. Those products had issues getting a monlithic film (no "pinholes") on what was called split-face or mountaintop block. Another application for acrylics with ceramic filler is roofs.

These are NOT high build coatings. They are relatively high build paints. The paint & coatings industry which I have worked in my entire career can be confusing due to the use of jargon like many professions. Traditional paints go on a surface around 1.5-4 mils.

A mil is 1/1000th of an inch. Yes, they can provide some protection but you must be aware of what they can and cannot do. Higher build materials generally are used in industrial applications.

Acrylic elastomerics are used for "waterproofing" but are not to be confused with tank linings whose purpose is to protect steel or concrete from water and/or aggressive chemicals. A common advertising claim for acrylic elastomerics was resistance to 98 mile per hour wind driven rain.

Guest

You are not alone, I have had similar experiences with this company. If its too good to be true, that's because it is false.

They say "you'll never have to paint again" but the warranty only gives a couple years on labor. So it really should say, "you'll have to paint a lot, but we will give you more product so YOU can do it".

PS. they broke my A/C and then yelled at me when I reported it to them.

Guest

Confirmed my first impression. Anything hard like ceramic put on the outside of stucco runs the risk of blistering and cracking, allowing moisture to get underneath.

Vanna Prp

This is a nightmare of a story of this consumer's experience with Rhino Shield. I appreciate his going into the extended detail he did. It tells me Rhino Shield is NOT the painting company to do my house's repainting!

Guest

We were thinking of having our home done with Rhino Shield. Thanks to this review, we'll just have it done with a really good grade of paint by our painter.

We're senior citizens and were hoping not to have to repaint often. We don't expect to live the full 25 yr. warranty, so will save our money for our local painter. Many thanks for this review.

So sad, his problem was not remedied.

One bad review will cost Rhino Shield lots of customers. Maybe this will wake them up and they will do better.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1906343

Likewise I am a Senior Citizen and will not live 25 more years . A simple paint job should do.

Guest

before buying anything I always check on reviews and comments on the product being sold. That being said in this case perhaps the trouble was the expertise of the company franchise who applied the product. However I am certainly going to do a lot more research on this product.

View more comments (101)
Featured
Joe K Ttt

Horrible product.

Updated by user Sep 22, 2023

I do not expect this issue to be resolved. Just don’t expect to get more than maybe 8 years out of a paint job that’s warranted for 25 years. To alert others, I currently have a professionally made decal that spans across my rear windshield that reads: (Rhinoshield...

Updated by user Aug 22, 2023

Still undecided if my issue is with an inferior product or Rhinoshield’s inferior installation of the product. Will update once inspections are complete.

Original review Aug 22, 2023
Rhinoshield product on the exterior of my home started failing at approx eight years. Now 13 years after install, the paint job is shot.

Just look at the attached pics and judge for yourself. The 25 year warranty is in my opinion, near worthless. Have your home painted with a quality paint. Avoid this overpriced Rhinoshield.

The labor warranty they offer will be long expired before u start having problems. Im sure Rhinoshield is well aware of this. The first time I called them to complain, they blamed me and said I got too close with my pressure washer and somehow caused the old color to come through. Now at 13 years since install, they say they are the new owners of this Rhinoshield location in the New Orleans area.

They told me its probably a poor labor job and that my labor warranty is expired. So view the pics like I said and judge for yourself. The contractor that recently pressure washed my home got extra close in some areas to prove that it would not cause the old color to come through. I zoomed in on a few of these areas so take note that the old color indeed did not come through.

I will update with proof of purchase and other documents. All documents now sitting in my lawyers office. Hopefully he can find a way to hold these people accountable.

Good luck if u still decide to use Rhinoshield coatings on your home. If u do, try negotiating at least an 8 year or more labor warranty.
Pros:
  • Potential good product if applied correctly
Cons:
  • Warranty not sufficient at this price point

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Don’t deal with Rhinoshield. Period.

Guest

I sorta think it looks like it was hit with a power washer. I would think that you should be able to power wash your house if you need to. Sorry it kinda looks like a area of our garage when we power washed it with too much of a powerful stream.

Well warned!

View more comments (1)
Resolved
Christiaan Vgj

| map-marker North Canton, Ohio

Resolved: Extremely disapointed in their product and service

Updated by user Apr 25, 2024

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with product replacement. To Rhinoshields credit... they did send a crew out and repainted the areas that were peeling and cracking.

Original review Apr 12, 2024
Had a lot a chipping and pealing after 4 years. They finally fixed it 3 months after initial call. Now have much more pealing... READ THE FINE PRINT! They will only provide labor to paint your house for only five years. After that they will give you the paint, but YOU must provide the labor, or pay them to paint again. The guarantee is no better than almost any paint you would buy at a hardware store, plus you will have to wait months (yes I mean months!) for them to come out to look at your peeling paint so they can give you a gallon or two. Rhinoshield rip-off!

User's recommendation: Don't get Rhinoshield

map-marker Milwaukee, Wisconsin

This company is in fact a scam.

For everyone whos fallen victims to this rhinoshield company of Milwaukee, Im sorry. You were screwed the second you signed the bogus contract. I used to be a subcontractor for them. I eventually saw the scams they were doing right in front of my eyes. They never really used their product. They often water it down or exchange it for Menards paint products to keep more money in their pockets.

User's recommendation: Never hire a paint company that’s not local. RS is a Florida based company

Gregory T Tvy

Most recent customer

Incomplete job, left a mess behind, damaged our brand new windows, overspray, rusty razor blades left lying around, cleaned out spray guns in my grass, etc etc
Loss:

Preferred solution: These issues corrected, and some sort of price reduction.

Drew C Mbt

Verified Buyer

Never received product

Rhino Shield - Never received product
Have been waiting over 2 weeks to receive order, still not here. When I try to find a customer service there is not any. Having to do a credit card dispute and will just use a different brand.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Never received order

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: be careful of this scam company

David C Qwa

Request for Paint Service Warranty Coverage

Updated by user Sep 23, 2023

Unsatisfactory response from the production manager after a year of phone calls and emails

Original review Sep 16, 2023
I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to address some concerns regarding the paint service that was performed on my property in June 2017.

Over the past fall, I have observed several issues with the paint that indicate a failure in its quality and durability.
In light of these concerns, I took the initiative to initiate a warranty claim on August 19, 2022, in accordance with the 25-year warranty provided for the paint service. Following the submission of my claim, I diligently followed up through email correspondence and engaged in a conversation with one of your employees, Brenda, on November 1, 2022. During our conversation, Brenda confirmed that my claim had been successfully logged into your system. She also mentioned that your team was currently experiencing a high volume of requests, which may have caused a delay in scheduling.
Despite my persistent efforts, which have included calling your office every few weeks, I regret to inform you that I have not received any response or updates regarding the status of my repair request.

This lack of communication has left me feeling frustrated and concerned about the resolution of my issue.
I kindly request your immediate attention to this matter. I would greatly appreciate confirmation of a scheduled date for the necessary repairs to address the paint issues on my property.

Alternatively, if scheduling the repairs is not feasible within a reasonable timeframe, I would like to explore the option of a refund for the original cost of the paint service.
I believe in the integrity of your company and your commitment to customer satisfaction, which is why I am reaching out to you in the hope of resolving this matter amicably. Please consider this message as an earnest request for your prompt action and communication regarding the status of my warranty claim.
Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to a timely resolution.
$20000

User's recommendation: DONT USE

Crappy!!!!!! Don’t use.

Guest

What you supposedly get when you get RhinoShield to paint your house is a lifetime warranty. That's essentially what you pay for.

My guess is that you didn't get a copy of that warranty until the job was done. By then, you'll see that there are a number of issues in that warranty that would give you concern.

But then, the job's already done. Everyone should be sure to have the sales rep hand you a copy of their warranty before they enter your house and give you a 2-3 hour presentation, otherwise, ask them to come back another day.

View more comments (1)
Tonja M Dmt

Verified Buyer

Verified Reviewer

Definitely would not recommend.

Rhino Shield - Definitely would not recommend.

My house was built in 1949 and is a brick and wood combo. Needed to have a good bit of wood work done and some replaced.

Was told I would get a receipt for any materials needed and would reimburse them for the exact cost of materials. Never saw a receipt was just given a total. Had a crew of 3 guys. Erik, their foreman, was extremely rude, disrespectful and condescending.

I had to have numerous conversations with him about work that I was not happy with and he was a complete jerk. The other 2 did the majority of the work. At one point, he told me I needed to hire someone else to fix the work that I didn't like and that they could come back to paint after I had someone else fix it (at my expense) because he needed to move on to the next job. After I told him I wasn't going to pay anything until the entire job was complete to my satisfaction, he changed his tune.

Erik is a bully and I would worry how he would treat customers that didn't stand up for themselves. They damaged numerous pieces of furniture, outdoor decor, plants, and all of my landscape lighting. A couple of weeks after they finished, I had to have my entire septic system pumped out because it had all backed up, backed up the sprinkler lines, and ruined the sprinklers. The reason for all of this was because they had unplugged the aerator for the system when painting and never plugged it back in causing the whole system to shut down.

The aerator is under a concrete box and doesn't make noise so I didn't notice that it wasn't plugged in. I called Roman, their supervisor, to inform him of what had happened. Erik, of course, denied that he had unplugged it. However, they had to unplug it to paint.

Roman offered me $250 for my costs to repair the system, which didn't begin to cover it.

All in all, they don't stand behind their work or their workers. Definitely not worth the price we paid.

User's recommendation: Would not recommend.

map-marker Bellevue, Washington

Need repair

Cannot get my house looked at for repair. I have been given every promise and no results. I believe the company has closed or gone out of business.

User's recommendation: Run from this company

heather Z Jdx

Year 2

Rhino Shield - Year 2
Rhino Shield - Year 2 - Image 2
we are now in the second year of waiting for our job to be completed. And even worse than that is they dont answer or call back but if by surprise you get to speak to someone they blame it on a 'bad crew' and will get to my case with in 2 days. So I am wondering if there 2 days actually does mean 2 years. Very very awful company to work with. At first they seem wonderful and willing to do anything you want. Then they show up and screw things up after you pay over 16K! So much for restoring our 110yr old home
Loss:
Pros:
  • Seem really great to start with
Cons:
  • Not what they promise or for response

Preferred solution: job finished and compensation for the stress of trying to reach anyone

User's recommendation: DO NOT USE THEM THEY SUCK AS PAINTERS

map-marker Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Rhino shield ruined our home

I had rhino shield applied to my vinyl home. No one informed me that by choosing the color I did would melt my siding.

I had chosen a dark blue but I later was advised that because of the type of paint they use it doesnt let the vinyl breathe and therefore my siding has actually melted and warped in spots. The owner Ron is extremely rude and physically yelled at me and called me a liar. Jesse has the worst attitude and has no actual sense or skill to be in the position he is in. The only thing that went well was the crew was very nice.

My 25 year warranty is a joke as Im told I need to pay for the labor to service anything as it was painted prior to the current ownership. What is the point of.

A warranty if you dont stand beside it? Honestly my advice is dont buy

User's recommendation: Don’t buy

Michael W Ghj

| map-marker Brookfield, Wisconsin

If I could give a Zero review I would

I have 9 documented calls with no responses. I have had a few responses and promised follow up for pealing and chipping paint over 2 years with no call back.

I have had someone from corporate call me to follow up and see what responses I have received, and she promised to call me back and never did. I would Never recommend this company to anyone. Peeling and chipping paint in 2 years only to be told I have to pay for the repairs. This is total misrepresentation from what I was originally told.

I have been trying to get repairs done for nearly 2 years with no result. Use this company at your own risk, but don't say you were never warned.

User's recommendation: Stay away from this place. Once they are paid, they don't care about you

Guest

The Milwaukee office had three owners the new owner is selling Floor Shield. It's an epoxy garage floor coating if they can't figure out how to apply their wall coating why would anyone allow them to do their garage floors.

Construction and Repair Expert Talks

How to Buy a Manufactured Home without Problems? Interview with L. A. ‘Tony’ Kovach (Part 2)

Aug 28, 2020

In this video with the manufactured homes industry expert, Tony Kovach, we get into details of the buying process, pros and cons, red flags, and tips that every consumer should consider before getting into a deal.

Read full article
L. A. ‘Tony’ Kovach
L. A. ‘Tony’ Kovach

Tony Kovach is an MHProNews publisher and one of the key experts in the Manufactured Homes Industry with over 25 years of experience. He shares the latest industry insights and tips.

Chris B Arm

Bubbles

Rhino Shield - Bubbles
Rhino Shield - Bubbles - Image 2

The next day after the job was completed my wifes and I noticed bubbles coming out.

Contacted rhino shield and was told that is natural for this to happen and the Bubbles would lay flat as the paint cured.

Contacted 2 weeks later and told them that there were more bubbles coming out and again told it was natural.

They asked for pictures which I sent and never heard back from them.

We paid $36,000 cash for this paint job and were not happy with it.

I knew I shouldve went to the bank the next day and stopped payment on the last check.

I will give this 30 day and then I will be contacting the state of ct department of consumer protection and file a complaint and ask for our money back.

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Stay away

That looks horrible

map-marker Manassas, Virginia

Was really going to call this company for service

My husband and i were really thinking of having Rhinoshield take care of our house painting, but after reading the reviews, it seems that this company and their product, warranties, insurance fraud and poor customer service,d th as well as the time it takes to get the job done is horrible. We are older and expected to find that this would be a good idea, not having to paint our house for the rest of our lives.

i can't believe these poor people that expected to have a good product, good customer relations, care of your property and your house painted to only find that they lost more than they thought. just some of the reviews that some of these people who had their house painted by this company is really poor. i couldn't believe having to pay for a so called reputable company with ads stating what a good product it is, only to have more problems and being told, when or if anyone would get back to them, that it was someone elses fault, or having to replace whole sides of their houses due to the poor quality of the experience going south. i'm glad i read the reviews before even calling this company.

Will stick to our local house painters and good quality paint, even if we have to do this again in 5-7yrs. thanks to those who wrote their experiences and saved us all the aggrevation.

User's recommendation: read the reviews

Guest

Seems like painting is the way to go.

map-marker Germantown, Wisconsin

Bad Experience with Rhino Shield

Rhino Shield was applied to our home in 2017. Almost immediately, blisters/bubbles appeared in 3-4 areas on the wall boards.

Multiple calls were made to get the problem addressed. Finally, a repair team came, scraped the blisters and reapplied a new coat of Rhino Shield. The blistering has reappeared every year since (it's now Nov 2022) and because the warranty has expired (after 2 years even though the job was never completed correctly from the get-go), Rhino Shield wants me to pay for labor to correct this continuous problem. Every year since 2017 we've experienced blister issues.

Getting them to return calls was frustrating. I'd call 6-8 times before they got back to me.

User's recommendation: Would not recommend Rhino Shield.

Brands Related to Rhino Shield

AmCoat Industries reviews and complaints

AmCoat Industries

0 Reviews
Natures Cote reviews and complaints

Natures Cote

0 Reviews

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article